The need for a video is quite common in today’s world. Whether this video be for music, entertainment, or learning, there are many of reasons why videos are needed. So how does someone solve the problem of needing a video but not sure where to find one? The answer is Youtube.
This may come across as obvious, but you’d be surprised how many students miss amazing opportunities by not even using the application or website for school. Youtube is something so common in everyone’s lives that when a project comes around, it might seem silly to even use it, but let me tell you that is not the case. Youtube is very beneficial, and not just in the way of making you not bored anymore, but by the information you are able to take away from it.
Though, it had to have had a background to begin with. So where did Youtube come from and what is its mission statement to begin with? Well, Youtube was first created back in 2005, and with no major rival soared in its popularity. Youtube set out to pave the way to provide fast and easy video access around the world with the ability to share and connect with others by videos across the globe. This may not seem like much in the modern day, but this innovation has led to a library of resources and information, creating a new day and age of worldwide information. The best part is that you can take part in this too.
Setting up a Youtube Account
So, how do you start? The simple answer to this question is:
- First you need to create a email account (preferably a gmail account). After completing this step you will need to setup your youtube account by logging into youtube with your gmail account.
- This may prompt you with asking for you to set up a username and password, which in turn all you’ll have to do is think of a username you want others to see you as and conjure up a secure password to use. After doing this step you have made great process in getting your account ready.
- Next you’ll need to change your photo (if you’d like-I’d recommend it). To do this, you’ll need to click on your account emblem in the top right of the screen and go to your Youtube page. When you get there you will see an edit sign on your photo. Click it and change your photo to what you want, just remember everyone else will see it so pick something that reflects who you are. After getting things set, now you are able to move on the next step of connecting with others.
Connections through Community
To connect with others on Youtube, you first want to find out what you are interested in, or what information you are trying to learn. After doing this, search up a video that has some relevance to what you are trying to learn or watch. To connect with others, leave a comment on a video; this is a great way for you to use your resources that can be sometimes more helpful than anyone you personally know. Many might brush aside Youtube as a entertainment only website or application, but they are totally wrong; make sure to take advantage of the access of knowledge you are able to obtain today.
Commenting on videos is not the only way to connect with others; making your own video is a great way to do so as well. To do this is quite easy; first, all you have to do is create a video, whether this be from iMovie or some other type of video creation software. After you do that, upload it and you are already done! To do this:
- Go to the top right of Youtube and find the arrow pointing up with a line under it. Click that button and it should bring you to the upload your video page.
- Click on upload a video, and find the video by where you saved it on your computer, then upload it.
Why is Youtube Beneficial?
Youtube can help you build up a catalog of videos that can be intended to entertain or help others like yourself out, or even a mixture of both! Though for some, Youtube can not just be useful; it can also be beneficial for a life long career.
Not knowing what to do after high school can be daunting or even scary, and Youtube is able to solve that in a multitude of ways. Whether you are stressed out or feeling down, there are people who share those same problems as you and maybe youtube can help you with connecting with others who are going through some of the same troubles you may be going through. That’s not all though. Youtube can also help you in learning, which is something you should never take for granted. There is an amazing amount of information on Youtube, and I suggest you use it. Though, for some Youtube isn’t just a website or application for learning, or entertainment, but teaching and content creation. What am I talking about? I’m of course talking about becoming a Youtuber. This in today’s day and age is actually a job for some and can be a rewarding career if done right. Being able to be your own boss and do a job that makes you happy is something to strive for, and maybe Youtube might just the solution for your career.
To say we all use Youtube to it fullest extent for learning is most likely an overstatement. I believe as time comes, more technology will be introduced into schools that will enhance using such websites or applications in class, but that doesn’t mean you need to wait until that day! Using Youtube for its capabilities of learning, and connecting with others is very useful for day-to-day life, getting over hardships, and maybe passing that Math test. So use it when you can, take part in the innovation and technology that is available to you, I guarantee you won’t regret it.